Listen 4 Change
Parent Participation Forum
A number of parents have come together in St Helens to organise and co-ordinate Parent Participation Forums. The forums are now well established in St Helens and there are a number of parent carers who attend both the evening and daytime parent forums on a regular basis. The forums are for those parents who have a child with a disability or additional needs. It provides an opportunity for Parents to come along and meet other Parents Carers in a similar situation, to speak to Professionals in order that they gain more information and be involved in shaping services in St Helens.
Listen 4 Change - Mission Statement
"Making a real difference for families of children with disabilities in St Helens"
- To come together as a united voice to support parent
To be independent and have our say and influence changes in services
- To ensure parent representatives are involved in decisions at strategic level
- To build a good respectful relationship with local bodies based on mutual respect
- To endeavour to understand & have an awareness of the disabilities & conditions discussed at the parent forums in order to provide a true representation for all parents/carers
- To ensure services provided are equitable and fair
- To receive adequate training to develop our knowledge & understanding to fulfil these aims.
What the Parent Forums Want:
- Information to be available for families when they need it in a way which is accessible to all
- To work in partnership with all the agencies with our children
- Effective advocacy for Parent Carers
- To bring families together to share information, experiences and to support each other
- To be able to signpost families directing them to the support they need
To affect positive change for our children and young people with
"Effective Parent Participation happens when parents have conversations with and work alongside professionals, in order to design, develop and improve services"
Invitations to the Parent Forums are sent out on a regular basis and advertised in the News & Events section of this website. If you would like further details please contact Lorraine Pennington at the Carers Centre on 01744 675615 or via e.mail on firstname.lastname@example.org