Upcoming Events...

Short Breaks...

Latest News...


Tax Credits

Tax credits are payments from the government. If you're responsible for at least one child or young person, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. If you work, but are on a low income, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit. Depending on your circumstances you may be eligible to both types of tax credits and they aren't taxable.

  • Working Tax Credit is based on the hours you work and get paid for, or expect to be paid for. You can claim whether you're an employee or a self-employed person. But unpaid work doesn't count for Working Tax Credit.
  • Child Tax Credit is paid to you if you are responsible for at least one child or young person who normally lives with you. You don't have to be working to claim Child Tax Credit.


To claim tax credits you have to fill in a claim form. You can only get a tax credits claim pack from the Tax Credit Helpline. It is a good idea to get the following together before you call:

  • Your National Insurance number.
  • Your income for the last tax year (a tax year runs from 6 April one year to 5 April the next) if you were employed - P60 / final pay slip for the tax year.
  • Details of your income for the last tax year if you were self employed.
  • Details of any benefits you get like contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Carer's Allowance.
  • Details of other income you get like savings interest, pensions or rent.
  • Details of any childcare payments you make if you use a registered or approved provider.

 For more information contact Inland Revenue Tax Credit Helpline

on tel: 0845 3003900 or visit: www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits

 Contact a Family have a Benefits Checklist and a Factsheet called Benefits, Tax Credits and Other Financial Assistance.

To get either or both contact them on tel: 0808 8083555 or visit: www.cafamily.org.uk