Disability Living Allowance
Disability Living Allowance is a tax-free benefit for disabled children and adults to help with extra costs you may have because you are disabled. It is not based on your disability but the needs arising from it and on how your disability affects you. For example, if you need someone to help look after you.
There are three rates for the care component:
- Lower rate - If you need help or supervision for some of the day or you are unable to prepare a cooked main meal.
- Middle rate - If you need help with personal care frequently or supervision continually throughout the day only, or help with personal care or someone to watch over you during the night only, or for instance while on dialysis.
- Higher rate - If you need help or supervision frequently throughout the day and during the night.
There ar two rates of the mobility component:
- Lower rate - If you need guidance or supervision out of doors
- Higher rate - If you have any of the other, more severe, walking difficulties
If you are claiming DLA for your Disabled Child
Your child must need a lot more help or supervision than other children of the same age. You can claim for care needs before a child is aged three months, but benefit will not be paid before the child reaches the age of three months unless they are paid under 'special rules' (see below).
You can claim for mobility needs from:
- Age three, if your child is unable, or virtually unable, to walk or would be at risk if they tried to walk
- Age three, if your child is both 100 per cent disabled because of loss of eyesight and not less than 80 per cent disabled because of deafness
- Age three, if your child is severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and qualifies for the highest rate of care component
- Age five, if your child needs guidance or supervision when walking out of doors.
Making a Claim
If you call in, write or phone for a form they will date stamp
it. You then have six weeks to complete and return it. This means
that you will be paid from the date the form was requested. If you
download the form there will not be a date stamp, so you will be
paid from the date they receive your completed form.