Upcoming Events...

Short Breaks...

Latest News...


Finance & Benefits

This is only a brief introduction to the benefits that you may need to know about.

We suggest that you get advice before making any major decisions and do bear in mind that criteria and amounts may change.  Several of the organisations below can give advice on benefits but not all can supply funding.  Receiving the correct support and benefits are your right, so don't feel embarrassed.

The key benefits you need to know about include:


See the useful links below for organisations locally and nationally which can offer support.


DASH - Disability Advice & Information St Helens 

DASH provide information and advice on a wide range of subjects regarding disability including benefits & mobility and provide a benefit checking service. 


DASH also sell RADAR keys that access any RADAR lock in the UK which are found on most accessible toilets - they cost £3 per key and can be obtained from the office address as below or via mail at a cost of £4.50 each including postage and packaging.


Parents can contact DASH directly which are open 10 am - 4 pm, Monday - Friday.

Windle Pilkington House
King Street
St. Helens
WA10 2JZ
Tel: 01744 453053

Website: www.informationsthelens.org
email: www.dash@informationsthelens.org    


ICE - 'In Case of Emergency' 

Is a program that enables first responders, such as paramedics, firefighters, and police officers, to identify victims and contact their next of kin. The idea is that you store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency". In an emergency situation, ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's as simple as that, and for more than one contact name you can use ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.


Living made Easy

Provides clear, practical advice on daily living equipment for young people.



Working Families

Everyone who has a child usually has to consider their options for caring for their child whilst maintaining financial security.  If you are finding it difficult to decide what to do for the best, then it is worth checking what benefits and tax credits you are entitled to or would be entitled to if you make changes to your working life.

Working Families offer advice for rights at work to parents and carers to help them achieve a work-life balance.

Parent/carer helpline: 0800 0130313

Website: www.workingfamilies.org.uk


Family Fund

The Family Fund helps families with disabled children and young people aged 17 and under to have choices and the opportunity to enjoy ordinary life.  They provide grants to families who earn less than £25,000 per annum (in England) for things that make life easier and more enjoyable for the disabled child, young person and their family, such as washing machines, driving lessons, computers and holidays.  Please see below for contact details:

Family Fund
4 Alpha Court
Monks Cross Drive
YO32 9WN

Tel: 0845 1304542 or 01904 621115
Textphone: 01904 658085
Fax: 01904 652625
email: info@familyfund.org.uk 

Website:  http://www.familyfund.org.uk/ 


Contact a Family

Contact a Family has information on their website offering benefit and tax credits advice for families with disabled children. 

  • A top tips guide on benefits available to families with disabled chidren written by the Contact a Family helpline
  • A frequently asked question page to help families navigate the complex benefits system.

Use this link to access the Contact a Family Benefits and Tax Credits information.


The Disabled Living Foundation

The Disabile Living Foundation is a national organisation that provides free, impartial advice about all types of equipment and mobility products for disabled adults, disabled children, older people and their carers/families. 


The Foundation can help the person you care for to find solutions that enable them to stay active and independent and can be contacted on a free telephone helpline service - please see below.


A free factsheet 'Telecare made easy' is particularly useful - this is a technology based system that offers new ways to manage home safety enabling vulnerable people to live independently for as long as possible and giving peace of mind for disabled people and their carers. 


Ti consists of a range of sensors positioned throughout the home which alert the carer (or a monitoring centre) if there is a problem in the home such as a gas leak or a fire, or if the person they are caring for has a problem and needs assistance.  The purpose of Telecare is not to replace the carer but to allow them to leave the house or to get a good night's sleep and feel confident that they will be informed if an emergency occurs.  Examples include fall detectors, bed/chair occupancy sensors and epilepsy sensors.


Freephone - 0845 1309 177

Website: http://www.dlf.org.uk/


Citizens Advice Bureau

Provides advice on a wide range of subjects such as legal, money and other problems.  Although drop-in advice is available appointments are required.

The main St Helens CAB is based within the Millennium Centre in the town centre:


Millennium Centre
Corporation Street
St Helens
WA10 1HJ

Tel: 08448 269694

CAB Advice Guide:  http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/ 


Family Action (previously The Family Welfare Association)

This organisation may be able to assist an adult or child to have a holiday in the UK. It will accept referrals from a social worker or voluntary agency.

Family Action Central Office

501-505 Kingsland Road
London, E8 4AU
Tel: 020 7254 6251

Website: http://www.family-action.org.uk/home.aspx?id=11578


Travel Pass

Merseytravel can issue passes to people who qualify in the specific given categories, which are:

  • blind or partially sighted

  • profoundly or severely deaf

  • without speech

  • disability or injury which has a substantial and adverse effect on ability to walk

  • loss of both arms or without arms

  • learning disability

  • would be refused a licence to drive a motor vehicle on the grounds of: epilepsy, severe mental disorder, liable to sudden attacks of giddiness or fainting, established dementia conditions.

To find out more about qualification for a concessionary travel pass under this scheme use the following link: Merseytravel Travel Passes or pick up a booklet at any Merseytravel Centre.